Purpose of Program Review
The purpose of the Program Review is to engage faculty, staff and students in analysis and reflection on the educational effectiveness of our academic programs. Specific attention is given to the program’s organizational, pedagogical, and curricular capacity to provide students with a high-quality educational experience, and to the academic results of those experiences. Program Review is also an opportunity for the programs to assess their alignment with the cornerstones of Brandman University’s mission: to provide students with a dynamic education based on excellence and flexibility that creates lasting value and relevance for evolving careers.
Potential outcomes of the process include:
- Increased student satisfaction with the overall program
- Development of pedagogical techniques for instructors
- Improvement of program curriculum and enhanced student learning
- Increased efficiency in the use of resources, and the identification of needed resources
- Enhanced interdisciplinary curriculum and/or program planning
- Infusion of new ideas from internal and external colleagues
- Review and possible revision of program mission, goals, and learning outcomes
- Ensuring relevance of degree program
Process of Program Review
Program Review is a recurring process on a six-year cycle building on previous program assessments.
The Program Review process includes four primary elements:
- Program Assessment Plan: a foundational planning document that states the program’s mission, goals, and learning outcomes, as well as the method for achieving them. The plan is used as the basis for evaluations documented in annual Program Assessment Reports.
- Self-Study: a thorough assessment by the faculty of the program’s current state based on institutional and program data.
- Summary of Findings: a critical analysis report written by two External Review Committee Members that is based on review of the program’s Self Study, and an e-site visit with faculty, staff, students, and administrators.
- Action Plan: a documented action plan written by the Faculty and Dean of the School that details the program interventions aligned to the self-study findings, timeline for implementing changes and budget implications to be addressed through continued reflection and data and evidence gathering during the interim years of the program review cycle.
Evaluation of Program Review Process
An annual evaluation of the Program Review process is conducted by the Vice Chancellor of Institutional Assessment and Planning and Curriculum Academic Committee (CAC). The evaluation provides feedback on the quality of outcomes, assessment plans, assessment studies, benchmarking results, and assessment impact.