Specific Requirements (2012-13 catalog)
Prerequisites (11 credits):
||Education Field Experience
||Student Health and Safety
||Educational Application of Computers I
* A waiver of the technology requirement may be granted upon successful completion both subtests of the CSET Preliminary Educational Technology Exam, documentation of completion of regular education computers in education coursework from an accredited college or university, or submission of an electronic portfolio (under certain conditions).
Core courses (24 credits):
||Introduction to Teaching
||Collaboration for Inclusive Schooling
||The Art and Craft of Teaching
||Data-Based Decision Making in Special Education
||Positive Behavioral Supports
||Instuctional Supports for Communication, Language, and Literacy
||IEP Development and Special Education Law
||Literacy and Language in K-8 Classrooms I
Literacy Content (3 credits):
||Literacy and Language in K-8 Classrooms II
||Effective Literacy for Single Subject Candidates
Emphasis course (3-6 credits):
||Teaching Students with Mild/Moderate Disabilities
||Teaching Students with Moderate/Severe Disabilities
English Learner requirements must be met in one of the following ways: (0-12 credits)
1. Passing score on the CTEL examination.
2. Hold a current CLAD/BCLAD.
3. Hold a 1059 (with CLAD) or 2042 Mulitple of Single Subject(s) Credential.
4. Successfully complete the following courses in addition to EDMU 520 and EDMU 521.
||Mathematics and Science in K-8 Classrooms
||History, Social Studies, & Visual/Performing Arts in K-8 Classrooms
5. Successfully complete the following courses in addition to EDMU 520 and EDSU 532.
||Theories, Methods and Materials for Teaching English Language Learners
||Secondary Instructional Strategies for Language/Culturally Diverse Classroom
||Content-specific Strategies for Single Subjects
6. Successfully complete the CTEL stand-alone coursework.
||Voice, Diversity, Equity, and Social Justice
||Theories of Language Development
||Language Development: A Teaching and Learning Process
||Content-based Instruction for Linguistic Minority Students, Sheltered Academics
Student Teaching (3-12 credits):
||Supported Teaching, Mild/Moderate
||Supported Teaching, Moderate/Severe
||Directed Teaching, Mild/Moderate
||Directed Teaching, Moderate/Severe
Advanced Core Courses (15 credits)
||Research and Evaluation Methods
||Seminar in Learning
||Seminar in Curriculum Studies
* EDUU 600 must be taken prior to EDUU 610
||Teacher as Scholarly Practitioner
||Action Research Development
**EDUU 610 must be taken before EDUU 611
Note: Traditional candidates will take a minimum of 2 sessions of student teaching. Candidates with internship credentials must take 3 credits of Supported Teaching and 3 credits of Directed Teaching in the respective credential area. Candidates who hold a valid multiple or single subjects credential may waive 3 credits of student teaching.
Candidates seeking both a Mild/Moderate and Moderate/Severe Credential will be required to complete at least 2 sessions of Directed Teaching. Candidates who have no more than 12 credits of coursework and student teaching remaining when an Internship is initially obtained should meet with their faculty advisor to determine the extent to which further Supported Teaching will be needed to ensure candidate success.
Interns may not waive Supported or Directed Teaching credits. However, traditional candidates may waive 3 credits of Directed Teaching based on at least 1 year of documented full-time teaching experience in the credential area being sought.
Total Program Credits (not including Prerequisites) 48-72