Did you know that autism has grown 600% since 1991? We at Brandman University know that California’s teachers weren’t trained to manage the epidemic. We have sought to meet that need by launching one of California’s first state-approved Autism Authorization programs.
Our 4 course, 12 unit program provides either a CTC-designated authorization to serve learners with Autism Spectrum Disorders or a Certificate of Competion. Since Brandman classes are after hours and online, teachers can learn new skills and stay where they're needed: in the classroom.
Students may take up to two (2) courses per
- Option 1: Autism Added Authorization
The Autism Spectrum Disorders added Authorization (ASDA) authorizes the holder to conduct assessments, provide instruction, and special education related services to individuals with a primary disability of autism as defined in subsection 300.8(c)(1) of Title 34 Code of Federal Regulations, Subpart A, across the continuum of special education program options at the grade and age levels authorized by the prerequisite credential required in (a)(1).
Prospective students must possess one of the designated eligible credentials prior to admission (see below).
Note: If your school or district requires a compliance with the CTC's October 1st deadline, you must finish all Autsim Added Authorization coursework by August 31st to allow sufficient time for recommendation processing.
This program is approved by California's Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CTC).
- Option 2: Certificate in Autism Spectrum Disorders
A Certificate of Completion will be awarded to students who do not need to obtain the added authorization but who wish to better understand students with autism and learn effective teaching strategies. Admission is not required for those completing the certificate.
- Admission Requirements - Option 1: Autism Added Authorization
- Eligible candidates are those with at least one of the valid, CTC-designated credentials on page 128 of the 2012-2013 academic catalog
- Complete the online application for graduate admission
- Provide a copy of active CA teaching credential if requested
- No transcripts or letters of recommendation required
For additional programs that may interest you, visit Brandman's School of Education Programs Page.