Free scholarship services are listed below in addition to scholarship opportunities funded by individuals, companies, and foundations.
Best all-around search, it's free and you can set up a mailbox that will be continually updated with new scholarships according to your user profile.
Free database search created by The College Board and updated annually.
Database of over 500,000 private sector scholarships.
Remember, never pay for a scholarship or scholarship search! Even if it is only a few dollars. Some even have a guarantee that you will get a scholarship. These are usually scams, so beware.
To Apply: Check out a brochure and request for more information. You can also review the application process on the AmeriCorps Web site, or call 800-942-2677 for more information.
Law Enforcement Personnel Dependents (LEPD) Grant Program
- Be the child (natural or adopted) or spouse, at the time of death or injury, of a CA: peace officer or law enforcement officer; officer or employee of the Department of Corrections of the Department of Youth Authority; or firefighter.
- Be enrolled in a minimum of six (6) units
- Must demonstrate financial need (from FAFSA)
For information and application go to: http://www.csac.ca.gov/doc.asp?id=109
California National Guard Education Assistance Award Program (CNG EAAP)
If you are an active member in the California National Guard, the State Military Reserve, or the Naval Militia you may be eligible for a state-funded program designed to provide an educational incentive to improve your skills, competencies, and abilities.
To qualify, you must:
· Be an active member who has served two (2) years in the California National Guard, the State Military Reserve, or the Naval Militia;
· Agree to remain an active member throughout the participation period in the program;
· Agree to use the award to obtain a certificate, degree, or diploma that you currently do not possess;
· Be enrolled in, registered at, or accepted to a qualifying institution;
· Agree to maintain enrollment of a minimum of three (3) academic units per semester, or the equivalent, at a qualifying institution;
· Agree to maintain at least a 2.0 cumulative grade point average (GPA); and
· Be a resident of California for at least one year.
For more information and an application go to: https://nationalguard.csac.ca.gov/
Mensa Education and Research Foundation
Deadline: January 15 each year
- Must be enrolled for the academic year following the award in a degree program
- Must be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident
Amount: $300 - $2,000
To Apply: More information and applications are available at http://www.ocmensa.org/.
Hispanic Scholarship Fund
Deadline: Varies depending on scholarship (January 14, February 1, October 15, December 15, etc.)
Requirements: Varies depending on the scholarship
Amount: $1,000 to $2,500
To Apply: Applications are available at http://www.hsf.net/. For more information call 877-HSF-INFO.
California Mathematics Council
Deadline: January 31 each year
- Reside, teach or attend school in Southern California
- Additional requirements vary depending on the category of scholarship and grant
Amount: $100 - $1,000
Lurie Center Elementary Teaching Award (offered by California Mathematics Council)
- Be a full-time elementary teacher (K-6).
- An assignment that includes students of color.
- Demonstrated efforts inside and outside the classroom to encourage students of color to pursue high academic standards and high educational goals.
- Efforts inside and outside the classroom to provide students with mathematics enrichment.
- Participation in professional mathematics organizations and/or participation in local, regional, statewide, or national mathematics projects.
To Apply: Download an application packet at http://www.cmc-math.org/members/south_grantapp.html
The Orange County Hispanic Education Endowment Fund
Deadline: February 15 each year
Requirements: The Orange County Hispanic Education Endowment Fund (HEEF) of the Orange County Community Foundation provides scholarships for Orange County Hispanic students with financial need at all levels along the education continuum, from elementary school through graduate degree programs. HEEF strives to respond to the educational needs of Hispanic youth, thereby improving opportunities for all Hispanic students.
Amount: Varies by scholarship
To Apply: online at www.heef.org/scholarships/index.htm
Government Finance Officers Association of the United States and Canada
Deadline: March 2 each year
Requirements: There are multiple scholarships available, each with varying criteria
To Apply: Visit the scholarship section of http://www.gfoa.org/ for more details and applications on the various scholarships available.
The San Diego Foundation
Common Deadline: February 15 each year (others vary)
Requirements: The San Diego Foundation offers 26 scholarships that can be applied for with one common application. Each scholarship has specific eligibility criteria that were defined by the individual, corporation or organization when the fund was established. The criteria are listed under each of the scholarships offered (see website for more information). Most of scholarships require that applicants:
- Be a resident of San Diego County;
- Attend an accredited two year college, four year university or licensed trade & vocational school;
- Be a full-time student;
- Demonstrate financial need (FAFSA);
- Have a measure of academic achievement;
- Be of good moral character, and
- Be a legal resident of the United States.
To Apply: Review the application process on The San Diego Foundation Web site.
Korean American Scholarship Foundation
Deadline: February 28th each year
Requirements: Visit the Web site for specific requirements
To Apply: http://www.kasf.org/
The National Italian American Foundation
Deadline: March 1
- Be enrolled in an accredited institution.
- U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident
- 3.5 minimum GPA
- Have at least one ancestor who has emigrated from Italy.
Amount: $2,500 - $10,000
To Apply: https://www.niaf.org/scholarships/index.asp
Deadline: March 15 each year
- Undergraduate or full-time graduate student
- Annual family AGI of $35,000 or less
- U.S. Citizen or eligible non-citizen
- Not in default on a federal education loan
Amount: $750 or $1,500
To Apply: http://www.usafunds.org/
National Council of Jewish Women
Deadline: May 15 each year
- Jewish students, male or female
- Must have permanent address within the greater Long Beach or Orange County area
Amount: $250 - $1,000
To Apply: ncjwla.org
National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration
The NOAA offers a variety of scholarships to both undergraduates and graduates in science programs.
To Apply: Program information and application materials available at http://www.oesd.noaa.gov/scholarships_opps.html
Pat Nixon Scholarship
Deadline: July 15 each year
- Must be an Orange County resident
- Must be a registered Republican woman voter, 25 years of age or older
- Be available for a personal interview if a finalist
To Apply: Complete the application available on the Orange County Federation of Repulican Women's website: http://www.ocfrw.org/index.cfm/scholarships.htm
Gates Millennium Scholars
Deadline: August 15 each year
- Must be an African American, Hispanic American, American Indian/Alaska Native, or Asian Pacific American
- Must be citizen or permanent resident of the United States
- Have cumulative GPA of 3.3 on a 4.0 scale
- Be accepted or enrolled full time as an undergraduate, OR be a graduate student in mathematics, science, engineering, education, or library science
- Be eligible for a Federal Pell Grant
- Have demonstrated leadership and commitment through participation in community service, extracurricular activities or other activities that reflect leadership abilities
To Apply: For more information and nomination materials, visit http://www.gmsp.org/ or call 1-877-690-GMSP.
American Association of Japanese University Women
Deadline: September 30 each year
- Must be female
- Must be junior, senior or graduate standing by fall semester
- Must attend award ceremony in Los Angeles
- Contributor to U.S. - Japan relations, cultural exchanges and development of leadership in academic field
To Apply: http://www.aajuw.org/scholarship.htm