Credential, Pupil Personnel Services - School Counseling
A Pupil Personnel Services Credential in School Counseling prepares you to serve as a counselor in California public schools for grades K-12 - as a crucial broker of services within the student support system. You will learn topics such as counselor roles and techniques for students of different cultures and backgrounds, ethical guidelines and legal issues, and goal setting. You’ll also learn to create and enhance programs for students that enable them to fully participate in educational and life endeavors.
Who is this program for?
For students committed to education and interested in providing insight and guidance to our youth – our school counseling program will put you on the path to becoming a credentialed school counselor in California.
Admission to the program may be achieved by completing the following requirements:
- Satisfactorily fulfill graduate admissions requirements for Brandman University.
If using Option Two in the graduate admissions requirements and have a grade point average between 2.5 and 2.99 in the last 30 graded semester credits (45 quarter units) in either a baccalaureate or post baccalaureate program including credits earned toward a credential, you are required to submit passing scores from one of the following standard admissions tests:
- Graduate Record Examination (GRE): any two of the three GRE scores (Verbal, Quantitative or Analytical Writing) may be used to meet graduate admissions standards for the MAT. The minimum acceptable score for the Verbal is 150, Quantitative is 141 and Analytic Writing is 4.5.
- Miller Analogies Test (MAT): achieve a minimum scaled score of 403.
How to Apply:
- Complete and submit an Application for Admission
- Provide official transcripts from the regionally accredited Baccalaureate degree granting institution and transcripts from all institution where post-baccalaureate coursework was completed or attempted. Only credit from regionally accredited institutions will be accepted for transfers. International applicants or domestic applicants with transcripts from international institutions must also submit foreign transcripts. PLEASE DO NOT FAX TRANSCRIPTS OR TEST SCORES.
Please mail all official transcripts to the following address:
Brandman University Office of Admission
16355 Laguna Canyon Road
Irvine, CA 92618
With the exception of transcripts or test scores, you may also fax additional required documents directly to the Office of Admission at (866) 659-1143 or e-mail the documents as attachments to email@example.com.
- Submit three letters of recommendation and recommendation waivers from individuals who have had experience with you in an academic setting and knowledge of your academic potential and from someone who knows you in a work setting, preferably one where you have worked with children.
- Provide proof of a master's degree in Counseling or equivalent in a directly related field.
- Submit your current resume which includes working with children.
- Submit an autobiography essay (2-3 pages) describing life experiences that have shaped your approach to working with children and what led to the decision to become a school counselor and your commitment to the PPSC program.
- Arrange an intake interview with the program coordinator and other designated faculty.
5222 Pirrone Court, Salida, CA, 95368
42-600 Cook Street, Suite 134, Palm Desert, CA, 92211
7460 Mission Valley Road, San Diego, CA, 92108
2950 Buskirk Avenue, Suite 200, Walnut Creek, CA, 94597