Purpose of Program Review
The purpose of the Academic Program Review is to engage faculty, staff, and students in analysis and reflection on the educational effectiveness of our academic programs. Specific attention is given to the program’s organizational, pedagogical, and curricular capacity to provide students with a high-quality educational experience and the academic results of those experiences. Academic Program Review is also an opportunity for the programs to assess their alignment with the cornerstones of Brandman University’s mission: to provide students with a dynamic education based on excellence and flexibility that creates lasting value and relevance for evolving careers.
Potential outcomes of the process include:
- Increased student satisfaction with the overall program
- Development of pedagogical techniques for instructors
- Improvement of program curriculum and enhanced student learning
- Increased efficiency in the use of resources, and the identification of needed resources
- Enhanced interdisciplinary curriculum and/or program planning
- Infusion of new ideas from internal and external colleagues
- Review and possible revision of program mission, goals, and learning outcomes
- Ensuring relevance of degree program
Process of Program Review
Academic Program Review is a recurring process on a six-year cycle. Program Assessment occurs every two years. Programs are scheduled for formal evaluation with Program Assessments scaffolding to the Program Review. Thus, the Program Assessment and Program Review reports and action steps are aligned.
The Academic Program Review process includes four primary elements:
- Program Assessment Summary Table: Includes PLOs, Average Performance Levels, Full-Time Faculty/ Adjunct Faculty/ Stakeholder summaries, Action Plans, and Closing the Loop.
- Program Review Self-Study: A thorough assessment of the program’s current state based on institutional and program data.
- External Reviewers Report: A critical analysis report written by at least two Review Committee Members (One External Reviewer in Discipline from a peer institution & One External Reviewer that is a Brandman University faculty member but not part of the degree program’s School) that is based on review of the program’s Self Study, and an e-site visit with faculty, staff, students, and administrators.
- Program Review Action Plan: A documented action plan written by the faculty with approval from the Dean and Provost that details the program interventions aligned to the self-study findings, timeline for implementing changes, and proposed budget implications to be addressed through continued reflection and data and evidence gathering during the interim years of the program review cycle.
Evaluation of Program Review Process
An annual evaluation of the Program Review process is conducted by the Associate Vice Chancellor of Institutional Assessment and Planning and Curriculum Academic Committee (CAC). The evaluation provides feedback on the process and the effectiveness of program review.