|EDUU 570||Voice, Diversity, Equity, and Social Justice||
|EDUU 526||Theories in Language Structure and Acquisition||
|EDUU 527||English Language and Literacy Development||
|EDUU 528||Content-Based Instruction and Assessment for Linguistic Minority Students: SDAIE||
CTEL Authorization & CLAD Certificate Program
Expand your ability to impact students with this CTC-approved program. Upon completion, you will be authorized to provide instruction to English learners (EL) in a California classroom.
CTEL & CLAD Certificate Program Overview
The CTEL Authorization & CLAD Certificate is a four-course, fully online program addressing the belief that teaching English learners requires an understanding of first and second language acquisition theories in order to provide a successful education environment. Students are required to apply for graduate admission and provide a copy of their teaching credential before beginning this program.
Attend an upcoming info session to learn more about the CTEL & CLAD certificate program and get all your questions answered.
As a student, you will:
- Design curriculum to assist students with developing their listening, speaking, reading and writing skills in English.
- Understand how culture impacts learning; appropriate bilingual methodology; and the need to use appropriate content area instruction through Specially-Designed Academic Instruction in English (SDAIE).
- Learn the thematic multilingual pedagogy founded upon the need for students to be social and communicative in their learning.
- Study the current approaches and strategies appropriate for content area instruction through specially-designed instruction delivered in English.
Who Should Enroll
- Any K-12 teachers that have not cleared their CTEL/English Learner authorization
- LiveText - $145 (nonrefundable)
- Portfolio Review - $150
8 weeks per course4 courses total
$525 per course$2,100 full program (other fees may apply)
Ways to Learn
3 credits per course12 academic credits total
Ways to Get Started
Applicants must complete and submit the Brandman University application and be enrolled into the California Teacher of English Learners (CTEL) program.
- Eligible candidates are those with an appropriate valid CTC designated credential.
Questions regarding the eligibility of specific credentials should be directed to the Teacher Accreditation Department at 949-341-9899. Questions regarding the CTEL program and general enrollment should be directed to our Enrollment Coaching Center 800-746-0082.
CTEL Program Curriculum
Students must begin the CTEL program with either EDUU 526 or EDUU 570, depending on the schedule of offerings.
Students must receive a grade of B- or higher to progress to subsequent course and maintain an overall 3.0 GPA.
The 4 classes in Brandman's CTEL program were so much more than a stepping stone to earn my CLAD. The classes have made me a better, more inclusive teacher and I firmly believe every teacher can benefit his/her students positively once taking these classes and incorporating the ideas into their classrooms.
The CTEL program has helped me to develop lesson plans using SIOP strategies that significantly change the academic outcomes of my students. I have learned multiple ways to build connections with my students as well as create a culturally responsive community in my classroom. Professors at Brandman are always positive in response to my assignments and provide constructive responses that helped me grow as a student.
During my time in the CTEL program at Brandman University, I was exposed to interesting and useful subject matter content. The knowledgeable professors and campus staff were always friendly and willing to go the extra mile to ensure my academic success. Being the military for over 30 years I've attended many different colleges and universities over the years but Brandman stands out above the rest. Thanks Brandman for helping me reach my goals.