TECU 0021: Basic Electricity
This is the first of a two-course series where students will gain a basic understanding of DC (Direct Current) and AC (Alternating Current) concepts, laws and formulas that apply to electrical circuits.
This course will cover Ohm’s Law, Power formulas, Kirchhoff’s Laws, and the rules governing series and parallel circuits. The operation of capacitors and inductors is explained as well as how they behave as reactive components in AC circuits including the formulas used to calculate reactance and impedance. Transformers, Power Factor, resonant circuits, and frequency filters are also discussed. Digital and Analog testing instruments are presented along with how to perform resistance, voltage, and current measurements of electrical circuits. Learn best troubleshooting practices, safety considerations and rules when working with electrical power. The course concludes with a presentation on decimal, binary, octal, and hexadecimal numbering systems as well as how to convert values from one numbering system to another. Upon completion of this course, students will be able to demonstrate how to build AC and DC circuits, calculate circuit values and perform measurements to validate their calculations. This will be accomplished in a series of hands-lab exercises designed to reinforce concepts learned throughout the course.
Approximately 28 hours
$1650EdAssist discounted rate: $1,485
Ways to Learn
Live Online Format
This course is also taught with Brandman’s LIVE ONLINE training format using a video communications software. Students receive the same high-quality training as found in a traditional classroom setting. Join us from anywhere with an internet connection.
LIVE ONLINE training includes:
- Delivered in real time by an instructor
- Full access to course presentations and documents
- Live interaction with classmates and instructor using a collaborative learning platform
- Play back recording of any class for later review
Upon successful mastery of this course, you will be able to:
- List and describe DC series and parallel circuit attributes and components and
demonstrate how to interpolate circuit voltage, current, resistance and power
values using Ohm’s Law, Kirchhoff’s Laws, and Power formulas
- List and describe AC series and parallel circuit attributes and components and
demonstrate how to interpolate circuit reactance and impedance values using
the correct formulas
- Explain the operation of transformers and frequency filters
- Accurately perform numbering systems conversions
- test instruments while applying the appropriate safety rules
Tuition covers only the cost of the course. Nothing else is provided to the student.