TECU 0065: Fiber Optics Technician
Students will gain the necessary training to prepare for the ETA Fiber Optics Technician Certification exam.
The Fiber Optics Technician course is an advanced level course designed for all individuals who are already at the level of a fiber optic installer, but wish to expand their knowledge of communication fiber optics. Fiber Optic Technicians are expected to obtain advanced knowledge of fiber optic concepts that will allow them to be involved with designing, configuring, installing, and maintaining fiber optic systems. Technicians will be able to test and troubleshoot Local and Wide Area Networks with various faults. The course material prepares a student for taking the ETA® CFOT examination.
Approximately 30 hours
$1850EdAssist discounted rate: $1,665
Ways to Learn
Ways to Get Started
A Fiber Optics Technician has a full understanding of inside and outside plant optical fiber, connectors, and splice performance characteristics as described in TIA-568-D (1&3), ITU-T G.671, ITU-T G.652 and Telcordia GR-326 and can use these performance characteristics to create a worst case power budget for a fiber optic cable plant. An FOT can proficiently perform optical loss testing as described in TIA/EIA-526-14A and perform connector end face evaluation as described in TIA-455-57B. Using an OTDR an FOT can effectively locate faults in a fiber optic cable, mated connector pair, or splice as well as evaluate optical fiber performance, mated connector pair performance, or splice performance for compliance with TIA-568-D.
Upon successful mastery of this course, you will be able to:
- Principles of Information Transmission using Fiber Optics
- Basic Principles of Light
- Optical Fiber, Construction and Characteristics
- Advantages of Fiber versus Copper Cabling & Understanding Fiber Optic Industry Standards
- Fiber Optic Transmission Methods and Modulation
- Advanced Fiber Optic Fusion Splicing Techniques
- Fiber Optic System Testing & Certification, Fiber Optic Cabinets and Hardware
- Fiber Optic Cable Installation & Procedures and Fiber Optic Link Troubleshooting
- Fiber Optic Source and Optical Meter Preparation and Calibration
- Transmitter and Receiver Optical Link Testing
- Single Strand and Ribbon Fiber Cable Fusion Splicing
- Cable Installation, Bend Ratios and Loading
- Fiber Optic Cable Preparation and Pulling Techniques
- TIER 1 Loss Testing & TIER 2 OTDR (optical time domain reflectometer) Testing
- Fiber Optic Cable and Connector Restoration
Tuition covers only the cost of the course. Nothing else is provided to the student.