Integrated ELD Instruction in Math
In this course, you will learn ways to effectively integrate the California ELD (English Language Development) standards into mathematical instruction in the elementary classroom. You will begin by reviewing the language demands of mathematical instruction, as well as exploring the areas of strength and needs of English Language Learners in your school/district.Register Now
30 hours6 months to complete coursework
Ways to Learn
2 PDUsGraduate Level Professional Development Credits
Online and self-paced | Dedicated mentor | Interactive assignments
Real-world case studies | Authentic assessments | Earn graduate level professional development credits
Upon successful mastery of this course, you will be able to:
- Describe how English Language Learners are affected by the increased language demands of the CCSSM both locally and statewide.
- Integrate ELD standards and K-6 mathematical practices to support English Language Learners in both language and content acquisition.
- Apply academic language and vocabulary development instructional strategies, such as explicit vocabulary instruction, word walls and journals, in mathematical instruction.
- Apply speaking and listening instructional strategies, such as the 3-Reads model and discussion frames, in mathematical instruction.
- Rationale for ELD Instruction in Math
- Integrating ELD Standards and Mathematical Practices
- Explicit Vocabulary Instruction
- Word Walls in the Math Classroom
- Writing in Math
- Making the Case for Math Talk
- Three-Reads Instructional Strategy
- Sentence Frames
Who Should Enroll?
- PreK-12 teachers
- Teacher candidates
- School administrators