Literature and the Art of the Narrative
This course is delivered by Westcott Courses in partnership with Brandman University
ENGU 102 - Literature and the Art of the Narrative
Prerequisite: English Composition with a grade of C or better, assessment test placement or consent of instructor.
Course Description: This course will survey various narrative techniques across a broad spectrum of genres, including novels, short stories, graphic novels and comic books, television, and the movies. The student will examine how we tell stories, but also ask the question why narrative is so integral to the human condition.
Enrollment Schedule: This class has hard start and stop dates, and does NOT have rolling enrollment as most of the courses. Students can enroll up to 2 weeks into class. View the schedule.Register Now
8 weeksSingle 30 day extension if needed
$525Payment Plan: First payment of $292.25 and a second payment 30 days later of $239.75
Ways to Learn
3 academic creditsLower Division, UG
We partnered with with Westcott Courses to offer online remedial, general education and other courses that count towards degree completion.
Upon successful mastery of this course, you will be able to:
- Communicate effectively in both speech and writing.
- Read, notate, and analyze narrative techniques used in a variety of texts.
- Apply critical thinking to the reading of a literary text and discuss the relationship between form and content.
- Conduct research using a wide range of college-level resources to find support for analysis and arguments in writing a variety of essays.
- Initiate conversations based on observations and reactions to various narrative texts.
- Identify when and where a source is required to support an argument. Justify why a citation's content gives depth and validity to the student's claims and/or thesis.
- Compose various argumentative essays with proper sentence structure, punctuation, grammar, spelling and usage.
- Evaluate arguments from both non-fiction and literary sources and write essays that are uninfluenced by emotions or personal prejudices.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the responsibilities of an intelligent citizen in a world with diverse cultural views including environmental, global and cultural awareness.
- Write an objective fully supported paper that not only demonstrates the ability to think critically but also supports a challenging thesis.
- Assess and follow accurately MLA research and documentation guidelines as they pertain to various forms of media and texts.
For more information from Westcott click here
Earn your credit in 4 simple steps
Register and enroll in your course via Westcott Courses.
Once you enroll, Westcott Courses will forward your registration to Brandman University.
You will be working directly with Westcott Courses from the beginning to end of the course.
Once your course is completed, your grade will be posted with Brandman University and you can then order a transcript.
Ways to Get Started
How it Works
These individual courses are available to anyone in the public who would like to enroll in a math or general education course. Unlike traditional colleges where one must enroll in a degree granting program, Westcott Courses offers individual courses where filling out a one page form makes the course immediately available. Westcott Courses is the teacher of the course and your official transcript with academic semester credits will come from one of our partner universities which are regionally accredited by WASC. Westcott Courses does not appear on the transcript; the transcript will show our courses the same way it would show a traditional class taken on the universities campus without being enrolled as a regular student. View transferring the credits.
Teachers for the Course
The classes are self-paced; however, a teacher is attached to each course who holds at least a master's degree in their field of study (or related). Most of our teachers are teachers who teach the exact same course on either a California State University or California Community college campus.
Omega MathTM Courses
Courses that have the trademark of "Omega MathTM Courses", are courses that have been written by our Omega Math team, and have a format that students love! These courses contain all the lessons, homework, solution manuals, quizzes, tests and the final. Students can take each test and quiz twice, and only the higher of the two scores counts towards their grade. This feature enables students to figure out what they did wrong before pushing forward, providing them with a deeper understanding of the course material.