BA, Psychology, Gerontology
Bachelor of Arts Degree in Psychology with a Gerontology concentration
Gerontology is the study of the aging process from multiple perspectives, including biology, health, economics, sociology and psychology. Practitioners of geropsychology collaborate with a variety of professionals, including psychologists, medical and other mental health care services providers. This concentration prepares students to work with an aging population and is suited for individuals seeking career opportunities in the fields of:
- Assisted living
- Home care management
- Mental health
- Social policy
Why Gerontology at Brandman?
According to the U.S. Census Bureau, the population of people over the age of 65 is expected to double between 2012 and 2060, from 43 million to 92 million. Brandman’s gerontology concentration teaches students how to apply methods of psychology and sociology principles to help meet the growing need for skilled practitioners. Multidisciplinary courses explore issues related to aging, grief, functional aging, culture of aging and social policy so students understand how to support the elderly and their families.
Applicants intending on enrolling in this program must complete the formal application process with all required documents, which include:
- 12 or more transferable baccalaureate level credits or the equivalent.
- Completed application package. Applications are available online.
- Official transcripts from ALL colleges and universities attended. Only credits from regionally accredited institutions may be accepted in transfer. Failure to report any previous academic work at another college or university may be considered a violation of academic integrity.
- For those applying under an active military agreement with Brandman University, admissibility and minimum transfer credit awarded will be determined based on the Community College of the Air Force, SMART, AARTS or JST transcripts. If additional coursework from other institutions is submitted prior to admission this coursework will also be included in determining admissibility and transferability for course credit.
Graduation Requirements–Bachelor Degrees
- A minimum of 120 credits.
- 36 credits earned in upper- division coursework.
- Minimum of 30 credits completed in residence at Brandman; 18 of which must be upper-division credits, 12 of which must be completed in students major.
- A 2.0 grade point average on a 4.0 scale at Brandman and transfer work.
- A 2.0 grade point average in all major and minor coursework. Programs may have additional grade requirements.
- Resolution of all “I” grades.
- LBSU 302 Information Fluency and Academic Integrity (Cannot be used as an elective in a major, minor, or certificate program)
- LBSU 304 Liberal Arts Core Foundations- (Cannot be used as an elective in a major, minor, or certificate program)
All courses taken in the major program must be passed with a grade equivalent of “C” or higher. All required courses must be taken for a letter grade where the option exists.
Degree Requirements (48 credits)
Core Foundation in Psychological Science (Required) (33 credits):
||Introduction to Psychology
||Introduction to Statistics
||Scientific Writing in Behavioral and Social Sciences
||Research Methods for the Behavioral Sciences
||Human Development Across the Lifespan
||History & Systems of Psychology
Gerontology Concentration (15 credits)
||Geriatric Mental Health
||Issues in Aging
||Health Care and Aging
||Social Aspects of Aging
||Social Work with Older Adults
39115 Trade Center Drive, Suite 203, Palmdale, CA, 93551
4820 Business Center Drive, Suite 100, Fairfield, CA, 94534
325 Mall Drive, Hanford, CA, 93230
16355 Laguna Canyon Road, 1st Floor, Irvine, CA, 92618
Bldg. 824, Suite 101, Hancock Circle, NAS Lemoore, CA, 93246
28237 La Piedra Rd., Bldg. 3000, Menifee, CA, 92584
5222 Pirrone Court, Salida, CA, 95368
99 Pacific Street, Suite 375-B, Monterey, CA, 93940
16355 Laguna Canyon Road, Irvine, CA, 92618
3990 Concours Street, Suite 100, Ontario, CA, 91764
75-105 Merle Dr., Suite 800, Bldg. B, Palm Desert, CA, 92211
3550 Vine Street, Suite 200, Riverside, CA, 92507
400 Sunrise Avenue, Roseville, CA, 95661
7460 Mission Valley Road, San Diego, CA, 92108
26455 Rockwell Canyon Road, Room UCEN 204c, Santa Clarita, CA, 91355
1300 E. Cypress Street, Building A-1, Santa Maria, CA, 93454
530 Hickam Avenue, Bldg 249, Suite 10, Travis AFB, CA, 94535
13911 Park Avenue, Suite 100, Victorville, CA, 92392
649 South County Center Drive, Visalia, CA, 93277
2950 Buskirk Avenue, Suite 200, Walnut Creek, CA, 94597