Career Services for Military and Veterans
Explore resources specifically created to assist military members and veterans in their career development and job search
Career Services Resources for Veterans and Military
Veterans and military members transitioning to civilian life bring a unique skill set to the job search. Many resources have been created specifically to assist military members and veterans in their career development and job search.
Career exploration is the process an individual goes through to choose an educational path or career that fits their interests, skills, and abilities. Check out these resources for information on self-assessments and researching careers.
- Planning and Exploration
- My Next Move a Career Exploration site for veterans provided by the U.S. Department of Labor.
- Occupational Outlook Handbook Find career information on duties, education and training, pay, and outlook for hundreds of occupations. Provided by the U.S Department of Labor, Bureau of Labor Statistics.
Translate your military skills, codes, rank, branch, and/or titles to find related civilian occupations. This will help you identify your skills which will be helpful in your job search and in developing your resume.
- Translation of common terms and skills
- Military Crosswalk Search find similar careers to positions held within the military based upon codes or titles from you MOC. Provided by O*Net OnLine.
- Military to Civilian Occupation Translator. Match your MOC or keywords to civilian careers. Provided by CareerOneStop, sponsored by the U.S. Department of Labor.
- MOC to job search Match your military job title or MOC to actual job postings of jobs available in your geographic area. Provideded by CareerOneStop, sponsored by the U.S. Department of Labor.
- Military Skills Translator. Converts the skills linked to your MOC to civilian skill language. Provided by the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs.
Resume Building & Interviewing
Helpful resources, information, and examples available to assist veterans in resume building and interviewing.
- Resume Writing
- Cover Letters
- Resume, Cover letter and interviewing tips. Provided by Hire Heroes USA.
- Resume Writing Guide. Information on writing an effective resume for a federal job. Provided by FedsHireVets.gov
Job Search Resources & Strategies
Job search sites for veterans
- Department of Defense Civilian careers
- Department of Energy Vet hiring program
- Department of Transportation Vet hiring program
- Department of Agriculture Veteran page
- AmeriCorp for Veterans
- Maritime Administration, Military to Mariner page
- Veterans Innovation Partnership, preparing for careers in diplomacy and development.
- Helmets to Hardhats. Helps military service members successfully transition back into civilian life by connecting them with quality careers in the construction industry.
- Hire Patriots A Military and Veteran transition initiative created to support our Military and Veteran community
- Hire Heroes USA Creating job opportunities for US military transitioning service members, veterans, and their spouses
- US Chamber Foundation Search jobs, participate in employment workshops, find a mentor, and check out upcoming career fairs.
- Military.com Monster veteran employment center, career advice, and military skills translator
- Troops to Teachers DoD program that helps eligible military personnel begin a new career as teachers.
- Vets.gov Connects Veterans and their families with meaningful employment and career-development opportunities.
Employers with Veteran and Military Hiring Initiatives
- Veterans Jobs Mission Search through directory of over 200 companies committed to hiring veterans
- Bank of America
- PwC jobs
- JPMorgan Chase
- Lockheed Martin
- American Corporate Partners. Nonprofit organization connecting post-9/11 veterans with corporate professionals for yearlong mentorships.
Each state has specific resources and information for veterans. You can find resources in your state by researching the Department of Veterans Affairs by State. Included here are some links to California and Washington resources.
- Va.gov Veterans Affairs offices by state
- Working Wardrobes Providing veteran services such as job training, career placement assistance, professional wardrobing, and veteran workshops.
- Careers.wa.gov State of Washington Veterans job Information
- Employment Development DepartmentCalifornia EDD for veterans
- Gold Card Initiative – provides unemployed post 9/11 era veterans with intensive and follow-up services they need to success in today’s job market.
- Veterans Business Outreach Center - A one-stop-shop for transitioning and veterans looking to start, purchase or grow a business.