Adding an additional single subject authorization broadens a teacher's qualifications and provides greater opportunity for career advancement. The Single Subject Added Authorization makes it possible to achieve this without completing another teacher credentialing program.
Comprised of just one additional class, this authorization is designed for students that already hold a Multiple Subject Credential that want to teach in both single and multiple subject environments at a junior high or high school level. Students must demonstrate subject matter competence by passing the appropriate CSET exam.
Applicants intending on enrolling in this program, whether online or on campus, must be California residents and must complete the formal application process with all required documents, which include:
Admission Grade Point Average (GPA) Requirements:
Neither transcripts, nor a standard GPA is required
Candidates who have completed the requirements for the 2042 Multiple Subject Credential can add a Single Subject Authorization to their credential by:
- Taking EDSU 533 (3 credits)
- Demonstrating subject matter competence through coursework or by passing the appropriate CSET.
Single Subject candidates seeking to add another content area to a credential must pass the appropriate CSET for that content area, with the exception of candidates who are:
- Adding a new science content area to an existing science credential.
- Upgrading a Foundational Level Mathematics credential to a full Math credential.
- Adding an additional World Language content area to an existing World Language Credential.