Suggested Examples:

  • “Online Programs”
  • “Business Degrees”
  • “Brandman Resources”
  • “Social Work”

Undergraduate Financial Aid

Financial aid is available for undergraduates enrolled in degree programs and teacher credential programs in the form of need-based and non-need based grants, loans and outside scholarships.

Undergraduate Aid Options

To establish eligibility for financial aid, you will need to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). This application must be completed each year you request financial aid.

Brandman University - Financial Aid Fact Sheet


Learn about Cal Grants, Chafee Grant, and other field specific programs.

An array of programs are available including Pell Grants, Work Study and Direct Loan programs.

Research personal, unsubsidized loan options through various financial institutions.

California State Aid 

Cal Grants

The state of California offers Cal Grants A and B to qualifying undergraduate students who are residents of California and meet the GPA and financial need criteria.

Chafee Grant

The California Chafee Grant Program gives free money to current or former foster youth to use for vocational school training or college courses. To qualify, you must be a current or former foster youth, must have established court dependency between the ages of 16 and 18, and must not have reached your 22nd birthday as of July 1st of the award year. The California Department of Social Services will determine your foster youth eligibility status. To apply: complete the FAFSA and submit a Chafee Grant Application.

California National Guard Education Assistance Award Program

If you are an active member in the California National Guard, the State Military Reserve, or the Naval Militia, you may be eligible for a state-funded program designed to provide an educational incentive to improve your skills, competencies and abilities. The enrollment period for initial applicants is April 15 through April 14 of the following year. The Priority Deadline is June 15. After June 15, applications will continue to be accepted through April 14; however, entry into the program will be granted on a “first come-first serve” basis until all awards are exhausted. Initial applicants must submit an online or paper application, FAFSA, and the Statement of Understanding (SOU) which are all available here:

To qualify, you must:

  • Be an active member who has served two (2) years in the California National Guard, the State Military Reserve, or the Naval Militia;
  • Agree to remain an active member throughout the participation period in the program;
  • Agree to use the award to obtain a certificate, degree, or diploma that you currently do not possess;
  • Be enrolled in, registered at, or accepted to a qualifying institution;
  • Agree to maintain enrollment of a minimum of three (3) academic units per semester, or the equivalent, at a qualifying institution;
  • Agree to maintain at least a 2.0 cumulative grade point average (GPA); and
  • Be a resident of California for at least one year. 

Federal Aid

A wide variety of programs, each with different requirements and limits, are available. One Stop specialists at each campus are able to answer your questions. Like all Brandman employees, they follow the Federal Student Loan Code of Conduct, ensuring that students are treated fairly.

Federal Pell Grant

Pell Grants assist low-income, undergraduate students without a baccalaureate degree. Students are limited to 12 full-time semesters of eligibility. This is a need-based grant that does not need to be repaid. Awards range from $305 to $6,095. To Apply: submit a FAFSA  and contact your campus One Stop Specialist.

Federal Supplemental Education Opportunity Grant

Supplemental Education Opportunity Grants assist low-income, undergraduate students without baccalaureate degrees. This is a need-based grant that does not need to be repaid. Award amounts up to $300. To Apply: Submit a FAFSA and contact your campus One Stop Specialist. 

Federal TEACH Grant

The TEACH Grant Program provides grants of up to $4,000 a year to students who are completing or plan to complete course work needed to begin a career in teaching. For more information go to:

To apply for TEACH Grant, complete the application:

William D. Ford Federal Direct Loans

The U.S. Department of Education offers low-interest loans to eligible students to help cover the cost of college. Direct Loans are borrowed through the federal government and must be repaid. To apply for any type of Direct Loan, you must first complete and submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). We will use the information from your FAFSA to determine how much student aid you are eligible to receive. Direct Loans are generally included as part of your financial aid proposal. There are three types of Federal Direct Loans for undergraduate students – Subsidized, Unsubsidized and Parent PLUS.

Direct Subsidized Loans:  
  • Only available to undergraduate students with financial need.
  • The amount may not exceed your financial need and is limited by your grade level in school.
  • The U.S. Department of Education pays the interest on a Direct Subsidized Loan:
    • While you’re in school at least half-time, or for the first six months after you leave school (referred to as a grace period) and during a period of deferment (a postponement of loan payments).
Direct Unsubsidized Loans:
  • Available to undergraduate and graduate students - no requirement to demonstrate financial need.
  • Award amount is based on your cost of attendance and other financial aid you receive.
  • You are responsible for paying the interest on a Direct Unsubsidized Loan during all periods.
  • If you choose not to pay the interest while you are in school, your interest will accumulate and be added to the principal amount of your loan.
Direct Parent PLUS Loans

PLUS loans are federal loans that parents of dependent undergraduate students can use to help pay education expenses. The U.S. Department of Education makes Direct PLUS Loans to eligible borrowers through schools participating in the Direct Loan Program.

  • The U.S. Department of Education is the lender.
  • The borrower must not have an adverse credit history.
  • The maximum loan amount is the student’s cost of attendance (determined by the school) minus any other financial aid received.
  • If a parent borrower is unable to secure a PLUS loan, the undergraduate dependent student may be eligible for additional unsubsidized loans to help pay for his or her education.
  • For more information and instructions on how to apply, visit:

Alternative Loans

Private student loans, also known as “alternative loans,” are made available to students through banks, credit unions and other financial institutions. Although regulated by the federal government, these loans are not subsidized or guaranteed by the government. They are a private arrangement between you and the lender. Consequently, the terms and conditions of the loan will vary from lender to lender and Brandman University does not recommend any particular lenders. Instead, we suggest you evaluate several loan options to obtain the loan that is best suited to meet your needs. See the FAQ for more details.

Further your education with a few questions

Please enter your zip code to proceed.
Please enter a valid zip code to proceed.
Is this an international zip code?
Please select a degree type
Please select your area of interest
Please select a program type
Please select a session
Please enter your name
Please enter your last name
Please enter your email to proceed
Please enter a valid email address
Please enter your phone number to proceed.
Please enter a valid phone number.

About Brandman

Earn your bachelor’s degree, master’s degree or certificate at Brandman, a regionally accredited university.

We value your privacy

By submitting this form, I agree that Brandman may contact me about educational services by voice, pre-recorded message and/or text message using automated technology, at the phone number provided, including wireless numbers. I understand that my consent is not required to attend Brandman University. Privacy Policy