Welcome to Brandman University Career Services, serving Brandman students, alumni and employers. The career exploration and planning process is one of the most important pieces of your career journey.
Career Planning and Exploration
The career exploration and planning process is an important step as you begin your career search. The information and resources in this section will assist you in starting and keeping your journey on the right track. Career planning and exploration is a three-step process.
- Learn about yourself, including interests, skills, values, personality and abilities. Use our assessment tool to get started. Self-reflection is a critical component in finding a satisfying and fulfilling career.
- Identify and explore careers. Wondering what your career options might look like with the degree program you have chosen? Take a look at What Do I Do with a Degree In for an overview of possible career choices.
- Develop a plan to meet your goals. Setting goals is an important step in the career development process. Learn how to set your goals and to best prepare for your chosen career.
The fact that Brandman University was a not-for-profit school, really sealed the deal for me. I wanted to be able to attend a college, where I knew that my money, my tuition, was being used for the school and not being paid to the shareholders.
The distinguished faculty at Brandman and their dedication to their students as well as the administration have made it possible for us students to overcome the challenges we faced and helped us bring our educational goals to fruition.
The Brandman program, at the end of the day, was real deal education. I wasn't interested in just paying a bunch of money to get a degree. I wanted a degree that gave me a skillset that I could use on the job.
Obtaining an MBA always was on my bucket list, however, until I found Brandman I was facing large loans and a strict school regiment. The flexibility of Brandman’s program along with Kia’s tuition assistance made the perfect combination. An MBA gave me the self-confidence to trust my ideas and question conventional thinking.
I would recommend Brandman for a quality education to anyone. I know the faculty is absolutely committed to a quality education. They’ll make sure that you’ll get what you’re coming there for, the knowledge you need.
Going back to school helped me get out of my comfort zone. It helped me get past the ‘we’ve always done it that way’ mentality. I learned that I needed to innovate personally, professionally and to help other become more innovative.
Job Search and Career Management
Searching for a job is a multi-step process that can stretch over a length of time. Don’t be afraid to refine your methods and resume if you’re not achieving the desired results. Use these helpful resources and tools to work your way through the process. When you’re ready, try Brandman’s Career Link.
- Resume Writing: How best to communicate your skills and abilities to a potential employer.
- Writing an Accomplishment Statement: Highlight your most relevant accomplishments within your resume.
- Resume Visual Appeal: Make it easy to read and visually appealing – those are the ones that will get read.
- Cover Letters: Understand the purpose of a cover letter and see tips and examples for an effective cover letter.
- Job Search Strategies: Knowing how to search and locate jobs is a critical component of actually landing a job.
- Interviewing: Preparation, tips and common questions for showcasing your skills and experience.
- Using Social Media in your Job Search: Create the right kind of online presence and use social media in your search.
- References: Learn how to leverage your professional network for the best recommendation.
- Accepting & Declining Job Offers: Strategies for accepting and declining job offers.
- Negotiating Salaries: Know your worth and don't be afraid to ask for more. Learn strategies for negotiating your salary.
- Professionalism and Workplace Etiquette: Build and maintain your professional reputation as the gateway to achieving your career goals.
- How to get a Promotion: Tips for seeking a promotion or advancement within your organization.
- Researching a Company: Successfully researching the company of interest will be a valuable first step.
Preparation through Education
A college degree is an investment in your future career goals. With the help of your academic advisor and career services, there are many ways you can prepare for a career through education.
- Internships: Explore the benefits of an internship, where to find them and tips for a successful experience.
- Portfolios: Portfolios are an excellent way to showcase your value and experience.
- Professional Associations: Gain valuable benefits and network with likeminded professionals from your industry or profession.
- Should I Get an Advanced Degree?: Determine if you should consider an advanced degree for your next step.