Writing Resources and Tools
Below are a variety of resources for your use. Check here often for the most up to date information as we are constantly improving our services!
The APA style is commonly used by fields in the social sciences such as psychology, linguistics, and education. APA publishes the Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association, a pocket guide, and instructor and student manuals.
- APA Official Site - APA's website has a number of free resources, the FAQs are a good place to start.
- APA Formatting and Style Guide - Information from Purdue University's Online Writing Lab (OWL), has set itself apart as the gold standard for APA resources.
- APA Model Student Paper - This is a model paper from OWL using APA style.
- APA Word Template - Use this pre-formatted template to create an APA-compliant paper, report, or thesis. Includes specific instructions and formatting based on the APA 7th edition guidelines.
- Brandman University APA Manual - Student Resource - Created by Dr. Evelina Atanassova, Assistant Professor of Management, based on the 7th Edition Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association (2019).
- APA 7 Workshop Recording - This is a recording of a recent workshop on APA 7th Edition.
The MLA style is commonly used in the humanities, particularly in fields that study literature and/or critical theory, such as English or comparative literature. The fields of art history, film/TV studies, and philosophy often use MLA as well.
- Official MLA Website - MLA's website has a few free resources, the FAQs are a good place to start.
- MLA Formatting and Style Guide - Information from Purdue University's Online Writing Lab (OWL), has set itself apart as the gold standard for MLA resources.
As a Brandman Student you have access to an online application that uses a robust algorithm to provide you with feedback on your writing. Here's how to get started:
- Go to the CorrectEnglish website: https://brandman.correctenglish.com/
- Login using your Brandman username and password.
- Check out the resources below to get you started!
Grammar can be challenging without a little guidance, review our resources to ensure your commas, periods and prepositions are in the right place.
Often, the reason you have been given an assignment is to showcase your critical thinking skills. Use this guide to make meaningful connections in your writing.
If you can't find something you need, send us an email and we will get back to you within 24 hours.